I want to address something today that I know is on your mind. I remember going to my YouTube channel several times a day to check how many subscribers I gained overnight. I would be disappointed. I had tons of views but couldn’t figure out how to turn those viewers into subscribers. It took a while but I figured out some things that I want to share with you. Interestingly enough, people will subscribe when they feel these three things about you.
Ever met someone and you decided within the first few minutes that you wanted to be their new BFF? Or ever sat in on an event and decided you didn’t like the speaker just 30 seconds into her speech. This is called the “Know, Like and Trust” factor. We make quick judgments that are often difficult to undo. On video, there are things we can do to increase our “Know, Like and Trust” factor. These simple tips can help turn turn viewers into subscribers:
- Share your life on video. As you share more about you, people will connect with your humanity. They will want to hear from you and support your endeavors. Build the relationship by giving your best and sharing parts of your life. And don’t just share the highlights. Share some lowlights. People love the imperfect expert.
- Ask for “thumbs up” or a “like” if anything in your video was enjoyable. When people feel like they are a part of helping you out, they become committed to helping you succeed. Your success is theirs.
- Ask people to share. When you ask people to share your video, it becomes the gift that keeps on giving.
- Don’t be afraid of the social media trolls. They are people too. Respond with grace or don’t respond at all. But having critical feedback is better than no feedback at all.
- Ask for comments. Make sure you respond to comments. Let people know you care and they’ll keep coming back. Do this in a timely fashion. Stop waiting for lots of comments and treat the ones you have as a gift.
- Comment on other related channels. This is helpful in the beginning to increase your visibility. Approach other related channels for collaborations. I can do an entire course on YouTube collaboration because it has made all the difference in my business model. Working with other online video creators show that you are known, liked and trusted by other experts. We all want to be connected to connected people.
What are some ways you have increased your “Know, Like and Trust” factor with your community? I look forward to hearing your best practices. Join the conversation in our free Facebook Group Visionary Video Creators.